If yesterday’s temperature was any sign: summer is finally in sight, and if you’re fortunate enough to have a pool at home, it’s time to start thinking about opening and preparing it for the season. Here are six tips to ensure your pool is in top shape before making a splash.
- Clean and store your pool cover properly. After a Canadian winter of snow, wind, and rain, your pool cover has likely collected water and dirt. To prevent it from ending up in the pool, use a small pump to remove the water and try a skimmer or rake to collect debris. Then, give the cover a good clean and rinse before storing it safely for next season.
- Do a thorough clean up, inside and out. Make sure the area around the pool—like the surrounding deck and patio—is clear of any dirt or debris that could end up in the pool once the cover is removed. Have a lawn or garden nearby? Collect any loose grass or weeds, too. After, remove any debris inside the pool with a skimmer and clean thoroughly with a pool brush. Use the pool vacuum to pick up dirt at the bottom.
- Check for any damage. While giving the pool a clean, keep an eye out for any wear and tear that may have occurred over the winter. This includes making sure all equipment is running properly, and examining the lining for any leaks that need to be repaired.
- Stock up on the right chemicals. Check that you have all the necessary chemicals for your pool before you begin the opening process. The amount and combination you need can vary depending on the type of pool, but your checklist should generally include chlorine, shock treatment, algaecide, and testing strips.
- Examine and install accessories. Inspect pool accessories like ladders and the diving board to see if they’re still in good shape and ready for the summer.
- Do a safety check. A new season means evaluating pool safety, including testing gate latches and locks, looking for fence gaps, keeping flotation and safety devices accessible, using safety drain covers, and storing chemicals out of reach.
If you’re in need of an incredible pool maintenance company let us know, we have the best connections.
Looking for a home with a pool? Reach out today to be the first to know when your dream house comes on the market.