We all want to sit back, relax, and enjoy the long, sunny summer days—but as a homeowner, there are a few things to take care of around the house first. Here’s a maintenance checklist to help get your home in tip-top shape before summer’s in full swing.
Clear the way for summer living! Here’s how to get organized and declutter inside your home:
- Reorganize closets. Move bulky winter items to storage and make room for summer hats, shoes, and clothing, as well as necessities like sunscreen, bug spray, and beach towels.
- Prep heavy items for next season. Dry clean winter coats and blankets so they’re ready to go next year.
- Summertime swaps. Change out heavy rugs, throws, and linens for lighter ones.
- Do a deep clean. Clean out the attic and/or basement, and give away, sell, or discard unwanted items.
- Reseal grout, caulking, and stone surfaces. Make sure to seal up any holes or cracks, especially around windows and doors, to prevent insects from entering.
- Tackle the bookshelves. Remove books, dust the shelves, and donate unwanted books to the library or a community library box.
- Wax wood furniture. Make it look like new again after all the use it’s had over the winter months.
Prepare for maximum outdoor enjoyment by checking these items off your home maintenance list:
- Get the air conditioning going. Remove the air conditioner cover and store it safely. Check the unit for leaves and any debris that may have collected over the winter.
- Think about safety. Change garage door codes so they’re different from last summer, clean the barbecue, repair your fence or gates, and ensure safety around the pool if you have one.
- Start cleaning. Scrub outdoor furniture, umbrellas, and awnings, and give exterior light fixtures a rinse.
- Freshen up outdoor wood. Re-stain worn patio furniture, lounge chairs, and wood structures, plus check wooden decks and stairs for rot or deterioration and replace the boards.
- Check driveways and walkways. Look for cracks, pull any weed growth, and patch with appropriate material.
- Look up. Check for missing roof tiles or shingles that may have been damaged over the winter.
- Brainstorm blooms. Add to your home’s curb appeal with colourful, fresh flowers by planting annuals in baskets, pots, and beds.
- Tidy up. Trim trees and shrubs away from fences, wires, and walls.